Spasticity: A Comprehensive Review
management of spasticity. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005 Apr;76(4):
2 Bavikatte G, Gaber T. Approach to spasticity in general practice. Br J
Med Practitioners. 2009 Sep;2(3):29-34.
3. Adams MM, Hicks AL. Spasticity after spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord.
4. Dajpratham P, Kuptniratsaikul V, Kovindha A, Kuptniratsaikul PS, Dejnuntarat
K. Prevalence and management of poststroke spasticity in Thai
stroke patients: a multicenter study. J Med Assoc Thai. 2009 Oct;92(10):
5. Charles PD, Gill CE, Taylor HM, Putman MS, Blair CR, Roberts AG, et al.
Spasticity treatment facilitates direct care delivery for adults with profound
intellectual disability. Movement Disord. 2010 Mar;25(4):466-73.
6. Jarrett L. The nurse’s role in assessing and measuring spasticity. Nurs
Times. 2006 Apr;102(15):26-8.
7. Yu H, Szatkowski M. Surgical management in spasticity. In: Cartwright
CC, Wallace DC, eds. Nursing Care of the Pediatric Neurosurgery Patient.
Germany: Springer, 2007.p.254-62.
8. Sheean G. The pathophysiology of spasticity. Eur J Neurol 2002 May;9
9. Boulenguez P, Liabeuf S, Bos R, Bras H, Jean-Xavier C, Brocard C, et al.
Down-regulation of the potassium chloride cotransporter KCC2 contributes
to spasticity after spinal cord injury. Nat Med. 2010 Mar;16(3):302-7.
10. Edgerton VR, Roy RR. Spasticity: a switch from inhibition to excitation.
Nat Med. 2010 Mar;16(3):270-1.
11. Foran JR, Steinman S, Barash I, Chambers HG, Lieber RL. Structural
and mechanical alterations in spastic skeletal muscle. Dev Med Child
Neurol. 2005 Oct;47(10):713-7.
12. Decq P, Filipetti P, Lefaucheur JP. Evaluation of spasticity in adults.
Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):100-8.
13. Ashworth B. Preliminary trial of carisoprodal in multiple sclerosis. Practitioner.
14. Bohannon RW, Smith MB. Inter-rater reliability of a modified Ashworth
scale of muscle spasticity. Phys Ther. 1987 Feb;67(2):206-7.
15. Hodgkinson I, B?rard C. Assessment of spasticity in pediatric patients.
Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):109-12.
16. Elovic EP, Simone LK, Zafonte R. Outcome assessment for spasticity
management in the patient with traumatic brain injury. The state of the
art. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2004 Mar-Apr;19(2):155-77.
17. Johnson GR. Outcome measures of spasticity. Eur J Neurol. 2002 May;9
18. Satkunam LE. Rehabilitation medicine: 3. Management of adult spasticity.
Can Med Assoc J. 2003 Nov;169(11):1173-9.
19. Maararawi J, Mertens P, Sindou M. Surgery in the peripheral nerves for
upper limb spasticity. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):147-52.
20. Decq P, Shin M, Carrillo-Ruiz J. Surgery in the peripheral nerves for
lower limb spasticity. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):136-46.
21. Ware JE Jr. SF-36 health survey update. Spine. 2000 Dec;25(24):313-ึ9.
22. Diener E, Emmons R, Larsen J, Griffin S. The Satisfaction With Life
Scale. J Pers Assess. 1985 Feb;49(1):71ึ5.
23. Vogel LC, Krajci KA, Anderson CJ. Adults with pediatric-onset spinal
cord injuries, Part 3: impact of medical complications. J Spinal Cord
Med. 2002 Winter;25(4):297ึ-305.
24. Ward AB. A summary of spasticity management - a treatment algorithm.
Eur J Neurol. 2002 May;9(Supp 1):48-52.
25. Sindou M, Mertens P. Decision-making for neurosurgical treatment of
disabling spasticity in adults. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):113-9.
26. Hodgkinson I, Sindou M. Decision-making for treatment of disabling
spasticity in children. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):120-3.
27. Wahlquist GI. Evaluation and primary management of spasticity. Nurse
Pract. 1987 Mar;12(3):27-32.
28. Pettibone KA. Management of spasticity in spinal cord injury: nursing
concerns. J Neurosci Nurs. 1988 Aug;20(4):217-22.
29. Bhakta BB. Management of spasticity in stroke. Br Med Bull. 2000;56(2):
30. Barnes MP. Medical management of spasticity in stroke. Age Ageing. 2001
31. Abbruzzese G. The medical management of spasticity. Eur J Neurol. 2002
32. Ward AB, Aguilar M, De Beyl Z, Gedin S, Kanovsky P, Molteni F, et al.
Use of botulinum toxin type A in management of adult spasticity - A
European Consensus Statement. J Rehabil Med. 2003 Mar;35(2):98-9.
33. Anwar K, Barnes MP. Botulinum toxin injections for spasticity. Oper
Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):128-35.
34. Brashear A, Gordon MF, Elovic E, Kassicieh VD, Marciniak C, Do M,
et al. Intramuscular injection of botulinum toxin for the treatment of wrist
and finger spasticity after a stroke. N Engl J Med. 2002 Aug;347(6):395-
35. Bakheit AM, Pittock S, Moore AP, Wurker M, Otto S, Erbguth F, et al.
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy
and safety of botulinum toxin type A in upper limb spasticity in patients
with stroke. Eur J Neurol. 2001 Nov;8(6):559-65.
36. Bhakta BB, Cozens JA, Bamford JM, Chamberlain MA. Use of botulinum
toxin in stroke patients with severe upper limb spasticity. J Neurol Neurosurg
Psychiatry. 1996 July;61(1):30-5.
37. Simpson DM, Alexander DN, O’Brien CF, Tagliati M, Aswad AS, Leon
JM, et al. Botulinum toxin type A in the treatment of upper extremity
spasticity: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Neurology.
38. Smith SJ, Ellis E, White S, Moore AP. A double-blind placebo-controlled
study of botulinum toxin in upper limb spasticity after stroke or head injury.
Clin Rehabil. 2000 Feb;14(1):5-13.
39. Bergfeldt U, Borg K, Kullander K, Julin P. Focal spasticity therapy with
botulinum toxin: effects on function, activities of daily living and pain
in 100 adult patients. J Rehabil Med. 2006 May;38(3):166-71.
40. Barnes MP. Management of spasticity. Age Ageing. 1998 Mar;27(2):239-45.
41. Tyson SF, Kent RM. Orthotic devices after stroke and other non-progressive
brain lesions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009 Jan;21(1):CD003694.
42. Lazorthes Y, Sol JC, Sallerin B, Verdie JC. The surgical management
of spasticity. Eur J Neurol. 2002 May;9(Suppl 1):35-41.
43. Smyth MD, Peacock WJ. The surgical treatment of spasticity. Muscle
Nerve. 2000 Feb;23(2):153-63.
44. Sitthinamsuwan B, Nunta-Aree S, Nitising A, Tabtimsuwan S. The neurosurgical
treatment of spasticity ึ an overview. Neurol Surg. 2010 Apr-Jun;1(2):
45. Sitthinamsuwan B, Chanvanichkulchai K, Nunta-aree S, Kumthornthip W,
Pisarnpong A, Ploypetch T. Combined ablative neurosurgical procedures
in a patient with mixed spastic and dystonic cerebral palsy. Stereotact
Funct Neurosurg. 2010 May;88(3):187-92.
46. Sitthinamsuwan B, Nunta-aree S. Functional peripheral nerve surgery.
Siriraj Med J. 2010 Mar-Apr;62(2):106-11.
47. Nunta-Aree S, Sitthinamsuwan B, Itthimathin P. Overview and outcomes
of movement disorder surgery. Neurol Surg. 2010 Jan-Mar;1(1):21-6.
48. Livshits A, Rappaport ZH, Livshits V, Gepstein R. Surgical treatment of
painful spasticity after spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 2002 Apr;40(4):161-6.
49. Laitinen L, Singounas E. Longitudinal myelotomy in the treatment of spasticity
of the legs. J Neurosurg. 1971 Nov;35(5):536-40.
50. Salame K, Ouaknine GE, Rochkind S, Constantini S, Razon N. Surgical
treatment of spasticity by selective posterior rhizotomy: 30 years experience.
Isr Med Assoc J. 2003 Aug;5(8):543-6.
51. Albright AL, Tyler-Kabara EC. Combined ventral and dorsal rhizotomies
for dystonic and spastic extremities. Report of six cases. J Neurosurg.
2007 Oct;107(4 Suppl):324-7.
Siriraj Med J, Volume 63, Number 1, January-February 2011 37
52. Deltombe T, Gustin T. Selective tibial neurotomy in the treatment of
spastic equinovarus foot in hemiplegic patients: a 2-year longitudinal
follow-up of 30 cases. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010 Jul;91(7):1025-30.
53. Chamber HG. The surgical management of spasticity. Muscle Nerve Suppl.
54. Penn RD. Intrathecal baclofen therapy. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2004 Sep;7
55. Ochs G, Naumann C, Dimitrijevic M, Sindou M. Intrathecal baclofen
therapy for spinal origin spasticity: spinal cord injury, spinal cord disease,
and multiple sclerosis. Neuromodulation. 1999 Apr;2(2):108-19.
56. Azouvi P, Mane M, Thiebaut JB, Denys P. Remy-Neris O, Bussel B. Intrathecal
baclofen administration for control of severe spinal spasticity:
functional improvement and long-term follow-up. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.
57. Zahavi A, Geertzen JH, Middel B, Staal M, Rietman JS. Long term effect
(more than five years) of intrathecal baclofen on impairment, disability,
and quality of life in patients with severe spasticity of spinal origin. J
Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004 Nov;75(11):1553-7.
58. Boviatsis EJ, Kouyialis AT, Korfias S, Sakas DE. Functional outcome of
intrathecal baclofen administration for severe spasticity. Clin Neurol Neurosurg.
59. Sindou MP, Mertens P. Surgery in the dorsal root entry zone for spasticity
in adults. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2004 Sep;7(3):157-62.
60. Maarrawi J, Mertens P, Sindou M. Surgery in the peripheral nerves for
upper limb spasticity. Oper Tech Neurosurg. 2005 Sep;7(3):147-52.
All articles published in the Siriraj Medical Journal (SMJ) are protected by copyright. No material in this journal may be reproduced on any platform including electronic or in print or transmitted by any means, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Editor of the SMJ. Written permission must also be obtained before any part of the SMJ is stored in any retrieval system of any nature.