Main Article Content
Purtscher’s retinopthy is a hemorrhagic and vaso-Occlusive vasculopathy associated with severe head trauma and multiple fractures although not injury to both eyes. The condition is poor prognosis and permanent severe visual loss. Today, no evidence based guidelines regarding treatment for Purtscher’s retinopathy.
This case report examines a 24-year-old male patient came with motorcycle accident was found contusion at left shoulder area. The radiographic examination reveals fracture of left clavicle and left scapula (non-displacement). This patient presented with acute painless severe visual loss at right eye. Fundus examination was typical Purtscher’s retinopathy. The treatment with steroids was progressively improved.
Keywords: Purtscher’s retinopathy, steroids
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Agrawal A, McKibbin M. Purtscher's retinopathy: epidemiology, clinical features and outcome. Br J Ophthalmol 2007;91(11):1456-9.
3. Meyer CH, Callizo J, Schmidt JC, Mennel S. Functional and anatomical findings in acute Purtscher's retinopathy. Ophthalmologica 2006;220(5):343-6.
4. GassJ DM. Stereoscopic atlas of macular disease:Diagnosis and treatment. 3rd. ed. St Louis: Mosby; 1987;346-8,558-9.
5. Power MH, Regillo MC, Custis PH. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with purtscher retinopathy. Arch Ophthalmol 1997;115(1):128-9.
6. Chuang EL, Miller FS 3rd, Kalina RE. Retinal lesions following long bone fractures. Ophthalmology 1985;92(3):370-4.
7. Behrens-Baumann W, Scheurer G, Schroer H. Pathogenesis of Purtscher's retinopathy. An experimental study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 1992;230(3):286-91.
8. Regillo CD. Distant Trauma with Posterior Segment Effects. In: Yanoff M, Duker JS, editors. Ophthalmology. St Louis: Mosby; 1999: 8,44,1-5.
9. Varma R. Purtscher’s retinopathy. In: Varma R, editor. Essentials of Eye Care: The JohnsHopkins Wilmer Handbook. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1997:481-2.
10. Atabay C, Kansu T, Nurlu G. Late visual recovery after intravenous methylprednisolone treatment of Purtscher's retinopathy. Ann Ophthalmol 1993;25(9):330-3.