Main Article Content
Background: Youths have more participate in sports that result in increasing of sports-related injuries especially in youth athletes. The injuries of the youth athletes are important issues due to the impact on the health, performance, sport results and drop out from sport activities.
Objective: To describe the pattern of injuries and treatment of youth athletes at the Sport Hero High Performance Center during the 35th Thailand National Youth Games, hosted by Buri Ram.
Methods: The recorded of injured youth athletes at the Sport Hero High Performance Center during the 35th Thailand National Youth Games were retrospectively reviewed.
Results: There were 119 injured athletes, 65 (54.6%) male and 54 female (45.4%). Mean age was 16.5 years. Among the 22 types of sport, basketball, athletes and volleyball are injured 25.2%, 20% and 10%, respectively, which were 55.2% of all injuries. About half of injured were non-contact sports, followed by limited-contact and full- contact sports. The most common diagnosis were muscle strain and ligament sprain. The ankle, lower back and knee were the common site of injuries. Most kind of treatment were ultrasound, taping, muscle stretching and massage.
Conclusion: Sport injuries in youth athletes were found in non- contact sports also. The most common site of injuries were lower extremities and lower back. The ability of youth athletes to return to sport and prevention of sport injury require proper sport medicine and rehabilitation, this includes appropriate adult supervision and coaching.
Keywords: sport injuries, youth athletes
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Fuller CW, Ekstrand J, Junge A, Andersen TE, Bahr R, Dvorak J, et al. Consensus statement on injury definitions and data collection procedures in studies of football (soccer) injuries. Clin J Sport Med 2006;16(2):97-106.
3. Soligard T, Steffen K, Palmer D, Alonso JM, Bahr R, Lopes AD, et al. Sports injury and illness incidence in the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Summer Games: A prospective study of 11274 athletes from 207 countries. Br J Sports Med 2017;51(17):1265-71.
4. Laoruengthana A, Poosamsai P, Fangsanau T, Supanpaiboon P, Tungkasamesamran K. The epidemiology of sports injury during the 37th Thailand National Games 2008 in Phitsanulok. J Med Assoc Thai 2009;92(Suppl 6):S204-10.
5. Aman M, Forssblad M, Henriksson-Larsén K. Incidence and severity of reported acute sports injuries in 35 sports using insurance registry data. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2016;26(4):451-62.
6. Adirim TA, Cheng TL. Overview of injuries in the young athlete. Sports Med 2003;33(1):75-81.
7. Merkel DL. Youth sport: positive and negative impact on young athletes. Open Access J Sports Med 2013;4:151-60.
8. Burt CW, Overpeck MD. Emergency visits for sports-related injuries. Ann Emerg Med. 2001;37(3):301-8.
9. Sreekaarini I, Eapen C, Zulfeequer CP. Prevalence of Sports Injuries in Adolescent Athletes. J Athl Enhancement 2014;3(5): 1-5.
10. Patel DR, Yamasaki A, Brown K. Epidemiology of sports-related musculoskeletal injuries in young athletes in United States. Transl Pediatr 2017;6(3):160-6.
11. Paterno MV, Taylor-Haas JA, Myer GD, Hewett TE. Prevention of overuse sports injuries in the young athlete. Orthop Clin North Am 2013;44(4):553-64.
12. Caine D, Caine C, Maffulli N. Incidence and distribution of pediatric sport-related injuries. Clin J Sport Med. 2006 Nov;16(6):500-13.
13. Frisch A, Croisier JL, Urhausen A, Seil R, Theisen D. Injuries, risk factors and prevention initiatives in youth sport. Br Med Bull. 2009;92:95-121.
14. Caine D, DiFiori J, Maffulli N. Physeal injurues in children’s and youth sports: reason for concern? Br J spors Med 2006;40:749-60.
15. Pasanen K, Ekola T, Vasankari T, Kannus P, Heinonen A, Kujala UM, et al. High ankle injury rate in adolescent basketball: A 3-year prospective follow-up study. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2017;27(6):643-9.
16. McKay GD, Goldie PA, Payne WR, Oakes BW. Ankle injuries in basketball: injury rate and risk factors. Br J Sports Med 2001;35(2):103-8.
17. Alonso JM, Junge A, Renström P, Engebretsen L, Mountjoy M, Dvorak J. Sports injuries surveillance during the 2007 IAAF World Athletics Championships. Clin J Sport Med 2009;19(1):26-32.
18. Puckree T, Govender A, Govender K, Naidoo P. . The quadriceps angle and the incidence of knee injury in Indian long-distance runners. SAJSM 2007;19(1):9-11.
19. d'Hemecourt PA , Gerbino PG 2nd, Micheli LJ. Back injuries in the young athlete. Clin Sports Med 2000;19(4):663-79.
20. Patel DR, Kinsella E. Evaluation and management of lower back pain in young athletes. Transl Pediatr 2017;6(3):225-35.
21. Prieske O, Muehlbauer T, Borde R, Gube M, Bruhn S, Behm DG, et al. Neuromuscular and athletic performance following core strength training in elite youth soccer: Role of instability. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2016;26(1):48-56.
22. พิรุณ ตั้งศรีพงศ์, อาทิตย์ เหล่าเรืองธนา, กิตติ ตันตระวิวัฒน์, ปริญญา เลิศสินไทย, ไชยยงค์ จรเกตุ, โชติกา วงศ์เจริญ. การบาดเจ็บและความเจ็บป่วยของนักกีฬาไทยในการแข่งขันกีฬามหาวิทยาลัย อาเซียน ครั้งที่ 18 ปี พ.ศ. 2559. พุทธชินราชเวชสาร 2560;34(1):31-40.
23. Athanasopoulos S, Kapreli E, Tsakoniti A, Karatsolis K, Diamantopoulos K, Kalampakas K, et al. The 2004 Olympic Games: physiotherapy services in the Olympic Village polyclinic. Br J Sports Med 2007;41(9):603-9.
24. Fréz AR, Ariza D, Ferreira JRL, Alves EPB, Breda GR, Centenaro LA, et al. Effect of continuous therapeutic ultrasound in rabbit growth plates. Rev Bras Med Esporte 2006;12:150-52.
25. Lyon R, Liu XC, Meier J. The effects of therapeutic vs. high-intensity ultrasound on the rabbit growth plate. J Orthop Res. 2003 Sep;21(5):865-71.
26. Williams S, Whatman C, Hume PA, Sheerin K. Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries: a meta-analysis of the evidence for its effectiveness. Sports Med 20121;42(2):153-64
27. Osborne NJ, Gatt IT. Management of shoulder injuries using dry needling in elite volleyball players. Acupunct Med 2010;28(1):42-5.
28. Haser C, Stöggl T, Kriner M, Mikoleit J, Wolfahrt B, Scherr J, et al. Effect of Dry Needling on Thigh Muscle Strength and Hip Flexion in Elite Soccer Players. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2017;49(2):378-83.
29. Maffulli N, Longo UG, Gougoulias N, Loppini M, Denaro V. Long-term health outcomes of youth sports injuries. Br J Sports Med 2010;44(1):21-5.
30. Abernethy L, Bleakley C. Strategies to prevent injury in adolescent sport: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2007;41(10):627-38.